Wednesday, September 29, 2010

MIRROR, MIRROR ON THE WALL

Mirror, mirror on the wall, whose is the fairest staircase of them all? Mine ... now! (Okay, I know ... it's not the fairest of them all but what a cute segue to my Post).

Here is what we started with when we purchased our house. See all the packing boxes ... they (previous owners) were on their way out and we (new owners) were on our way in! I was very excited.

Pink walls. Actually, the entire house was pink! No offense to pink and those who adore the colour - it just wasn't the interior I was dreaming of.


So after all the painting was complete - the work began. I wanted to transform our understated staircase, within our scope of expertise & skill (limited at best) and within a budget.






I'm certain some of my fellow dog-owners can relate to the pup who just has to be in the middle of it all!


I started collecting mirrors for this project. Remember my Turner Mirror? I purchased another Turner Mirror off of a seller from Kijiji. She had already (conveniently) painted it Heirloom White.



This mirror was a total deal at HomeSense. I watched it from afar, first selling for a whopping $299.99. Way out of my budget and I did not 'love' it. It was high-gloss black.


It didn't sell and kept having it's price reduced - until I snatched it up for $49.99. It received the same treatment as the other mirrors, primed and painted Heirloom White.


The sheer size of this mirror commands attention on the wall where we placed it!



It draws your attention up the stairs.



Our staircase does not have the advantage of any natural light therefore the choice of mirrors was perfect for this location. Depending on where the sun is coming in from the main level, one of the mirrors may pick up a hint of sunlight and it is able to bounce around amongst all the mirrors.




I am very pleased with how this project turned out!



We added a new chandelier at the top of the stairs.


My column from an old estate.


It's aged with a beautiful patina.


And chippy paint.


Depending on where you are standing and looking, the mirrors are like pictures, framing another view.


I'm going to keep collecting mirrors and eventually have a whole wall full!



But for now ... I'm content.


And Hubs can enjoy a couple of days off!


I'm linking to Cindy's Romantic Home Show & Tell Friday!

Cheers ~ Lisa ~

17 comments:

  1. Fabulous!! Lisa you have done an excellent job!! (HUbs, too!!) I love the transformation! Your mirrors are great! I have a couple myself, but have left them gold until I get time to paint them (will be cottage white).
    Thanks for sharing!
    Hugs, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,
    Very nice! I love mirrors and I especially love them white. I like your wainscoting too. Looks like you got yourself a beautiful home. Thanks for sharing and have a lovely day.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa! The mirror wall is beautiful. It really brightens up the space. Great job, you still continue to inspire me :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE it Lisa!!! Your mirrors are gorgeous and perfect for the stairs!!! Love the wood wainscot on the wall too- GREAT Job to you and your husband! You know I am loving that chandelier - beautiful!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow Lisa..this is amazing. Love it. Thank you so much for the sweet comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, great staircase, Lisa. I love all the trim (including the crown at ceiling) and the mirrors. We have a window, but your staircase is wonderful! You have given me an idea for two mirrors I have, currently in our bedroom. Not as ornate as yours, but they just might be getting a few coats of white. Now if only the hardwood fairies could snap their fingers and replace our worn stair carpeting with gorgeous hardwood :) Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, this is just gorgeous, you elevated the stairway to new and amazing heights! The mirrors are delish!!! Love it all

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mirrors are beautiful. What a clever way to bring light into a dark area. Your stairway is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh My Gosh Lisa Sweetie...
    Good Morning and what a gorgeous share this is today. I absolutely adore what you have done with the stairway. Oh sweetie, the mirrors look so inviting, drawing you up the stairway, and your new mirror, what a deal that was! Patience paid off for you sweetie. That is the most exquisite mirror I have ever seen, and it couldn't be in a more fitting place. I love it.

    Oh what beauty you have there. I love the antique column, it fits in the corner to a "T". LOVE it.

    And I love the 13 and 14 in the mirror. Did you number all the steps or just those top two? I love it and what a beautiful home welcoming touch. You are quite the designer my friend.

    Love the pup. I have my Bruiser alias Handsome. He never leaves my side when I am home. He is my shadow. Sometimes I trip over him.

    Have a gorgeous day sweetie. Thanks for stopping by for tea. I so enjoyed myself. Many hugs and so much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  10. You certainly did a splendid job redecorating the stairway, I like a little pink but not too much. The mirrors are just beautiful, they do invite you upstairs. Thanks for dropping by today.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lisa, I'm getting caught up on your blog. Very pretty staircase! Love the wainscoting! You have been very busy. Congrats on 42 followers!
    ~ Julie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lisa I love all the mirrors! It is too cool for words. I like the idea of the "wainscotting" too. It looks like you have a furry helper... we have 3 of them that always seem to be able to rub up against any fresh paint...

    Hope you're planning to enjoy your weekend that's almost here!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lisa,
    I am in looooovvvveeee with your gorgeous mirrors and your dandy chandy. Nice of you to give the hubs a day off... I am sure if you are like me you have plenty of projects brewing up in the back of your mind. Giggle. Your transformation is gorgeous. I can say it might be my dream to live in a pink house.
    Hugs,
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous! I love your staircase, and especially the mirrors and chandelier....and how you numbered the stairs! I seem to have a thing for letters and numbers lately.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lisa,
    You are so kind to always give me compliments and now I'm sending one to you - you did a beautiful job! I love the mirrors and the whole staircase! You must love coming down the stairs in the morning. Wow

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your mirrors look fabulous! And so does the woodwork. I want to know what happened to the white corner cabinet? I really liked that too.

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for your comments!