Sunday, September 12, 2010

CHERUB LIGHT

I decided to spend my Sunday working on a simple project that I had in mind. Kind of a crafting day.


I purchased this little light from Ebay a couple of years ago. I'm really into 'mood' lighting as it does just that, sets a mood. This corner of my living room enjoys natural light during the day but by night it is a dark, drab corner. This sweet little cherub adds a touch of ambiance and lights up that corner, ever so slightly. It's quite pretty at night.


I decided to give my light an easy makeover. Since the 'rage' seems to be burlap, feed sacks and drop cloths, I figured I would head in this direction.


First ... I had to take it all apart. Now keep in mind - I lack patience for fiddly-type projects. I am so not a crafter (but I am compelled to keep trying).


I removed the beads. This was pretty easy.


Then I attempted to tackle the fabric. Not so easy. Notice my tool of choice - a steak knife!


It was glued on pretty tight. I struggled for a couple of minutes and then simply lost my patience and just went to town, ripping the fabric from the shade with all of my might.

Oh well, I tore the shade in the process. What did I expect?
I 'antiqued' the cherub so he was no longer a stark white. Notice the new 'cord cover'? Burlap - yup. I ordered that online. Once I saw it I realized I could have probably sewn one myself (maybe).

And then on to assemble the new shade. I chose linen. I traced around the shade and made a paper template to cut out my fabric.

Okay, this was not so great. I also used a glue gun to secure the linen to the shade. I burned my fingers, my table and a nearby mirror, in the process. I also discovered that the linen was not a wise choice for this shade - too thick! But now I was in deep.
The top needed something. I would make a nice trim detail out of the linen and attach it to the top of my shade.
This was a nightmare. Look at how small the sewing area was. Plus I needed to wind the bobbin with the matching thread I had purchased. I still cannot do this without referring to my owner's manual. That is how challenged I am. This has become my bible.

You know what I mean when I say "colouring outside of the lines". That is exactly how the sewing went. I was all over trying to sew in that small area. I kept sewing right off my fabric and would have to stop the press and start over. I went ahead and glued this piece onto my shade but then concealed it with ribbon.
Hubs left me in the morning to play golf and returned home in the afternoon to find me still working on this 'simple craft project'. It is not perfect by any stretch but darn it, I'm hanging it back up .....

while I search for a new light for this corner of my living room.



Cheers ~ Lisa ~

15 comments:

  1. that's so funny, i feel your pain! i'm new to sewing too! but i did manage to make a cord cover for a recently purchased chandy for my entry. so i'm sure you can do it too! thanks for visiting me today and commenting on the silver ceiling/chandy project! i actually really like the new light you made! ~decorating diva @cottageromance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it turned out nice! But I gotta ask... how in the world did you get glue on a "nearby mirror"... I'm still sitting here by myself, laughing at that one!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too Cute Lisa!!! I love it and I think you did a GREAT job! The steak knife was too funny!!! How many times I have used whatever I could find to work on a project!! Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol...too funny! WAY better than I could do...a glue gun and me is a disaster waiting to happen! I get so envious of all the artsy crafty girls but then again I think it is practice makes perfect...keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a hoot! I am laughing about the glue and the sewing, my sewing machine is a mess, (I am the mess really), it is not picking up the thread from the bobbin...I do not have a clue what to do with it, sooooo it sits broken. It does give me the excuse not to sew though, that is kinda a blessing.

    Your project turned out great, I like the linen better then burlap, I think burlap stinks and is really rough and kinda ugly! Can not for the life of me see what the fuss is all about!

    Take care and keep your fun stories coming, I enjoy you so much!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're too hard on yourself Lisa. It really looks great! I love the cherub. I have a feeling you'd miss it if you replaced the light. I can feel your pain, though. I wish I had a nickel for everytime I've burned myself with a hot glue gun....and let traces of glue threads all over the place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, You did an excellent job my sweets and you followed through. It is perfect for that corner. Lampshades are really tough. At least you tried to sew. I end up just hot glueing everything. The cherub is just darling. Give yourself a pat on the back and just keep telling yourself you are a crafting GODDESS!
    Hugs,
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Lisa,
    I love your newly revamped lamp! You really did an awesome job on the shade. Crafting isn't about being perfect.....it's about crafting!!!! Just keep doin it and you will get better.
    Next time when you use a hot glue gun try these tips:
    1. Place gun on stove or dinnerplate to prevent burns to counter or table.
    2. Have a large bowl of cold water nearby incase you burn yourself with gun or hot glue. Just dunk your hand in to cool glue quickly.
    3. Have extra glue sticks handy incase you need more in a hurry!
    These tips were from my ever wise Mom. And yes, in reply to your question, she was a Master Garden.... for more than 25 years!!
    Honey, if you lived closer I would teach you to sew myself. Ask any time at all if you have any questions with regards to sewing. Just keep trying!
    Warm hugs, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just stopping by and thought I'd leave a comment. Hope you don't mind.

    This post had me laughing as I could so relate. Let's just say I'm not the crafty type either, although I do give it a go every now and then. I'm good at decorating and I'm really good at copying other people's great ideas (usually ideas coming from blogland!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your new lampshade. You did a wonderful job. May I make a suggestion about the sewing? Instead of putting your pins in the way you have, put them crossways. That way when you have such a small hem, you can run the needle over them, or take them out as they approach the needle. Good job. what's next?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love you little makeover. That's the cutest lamp and now it has the cutest lampshade. LOL at the knife!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lisa,
    I would have said before that burlap was not my 'thing', but now I LOVE IT! You have changed my mind. And that cherub is just the icing on the cake. What a fabulous job you did. Loving all your fall decor and getting some great ideas for my place. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cute! I love you step-by-step! Sooo helpful! I'm hoping to hang the new chandelier I got on Craigslist today in the Laundry room tomorrow! It is shabby cream wrought-iron with clear and amber beads! Perfect for my Junkmarket inspired laundry room! Have a good one! Thanks again for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks really good....it matches well with your window treatment too.
    you did a great job with it!

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for your comments!