Monday, August 16, 2010

GOLD TURNER MIRROR

Heading to the Farmer's Market on the weekend we passed by an antique store. I can never get past without stopping and pressing my face against the window, peering & scanning. I spied a small piece of ornate gold tucked into a corner. It was early in the a.m. so the store was closed. We headed back after finishing up at the market.

Now this particular store was stuffed to the rafters with paraphernalia (you know the kind of place). There was no chance I was going to manoeuvre my butt through all those high-priced, sought after collectibles and I told the owner so. "No problem" he said as he made his way through the maze of vintage treasures. "Is this what you're looking for" he asked as he pulled up the gold mirror that I had suspected was buried there? That was it! He said he didn't even know he had this mirror in his shop (which I didn't doubt) and he said it was an original Turner mirror.

The name really didn't matter, just the price. I was now able to see the price tag - $30 - more than I intended on paying. To my delight, he offered the mirror to me for $20.
SOLD!


I've been eyeing these for a while (some are made in Italy) and have not found one under $40.


You know the drill.

It received the 'regular' treatment.


Primer .....

and Heirloom White paint.






Still deciding whether or not to add a glaze.











Opinions would be appreciated!

Cheers ~ Lisa ~





5 comments:

  1. Lisa!!
    I have a mirror with the same label... I love how yours turned out. Not sure about the glaze.. does it feel to bright to you?

    I need your opinion too. If you go back and look at my COTM there is a shot of my hallway with a LARGE mirror and two plants beneath it.. That is the mirror with the same tag as yours.. Should I paint it? It feels to dark to me but my husband thinks I might regret it.

    I had no idea you could spray paint it, I thought I was going to have to whip out the brush!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it alot, and I have a mirror like it! I want to take out the mirror and put a chalkboard in it. I used matt paint finish

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE it! I like it just the way it is... no glaze. And a chalkboard would be a fantastic idea. I made a chalkboard out of the original bathroom "medicine cabinet" door that we found in the attic after we moved in. The old mirror was kind of cool and I didn't want to do anything permanent so I got a really thin (like 1/8 inch) piece of masonite board, painted it with chalkboard paint and stuck in on the mirrow with those 3M removalbe thingies (spelling?).

    Good find and good luck with whatever decide to do!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa I love your mirror spray painted white. I'm always on the lookout for mirrors as well. Don't know much about the Turner name..but I like that it still has the vintage tag attached.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great find! Looks fantastic painted white~ FABULOUS!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for your comments!